Hi everybody! Or as my awesome professor would say, "Hi gang!" I've been sick for a couple of days, I guess with a touch of the flu or something, but I'm feeling okay tonight ... busy getting ready for finals, trying to find a research team to join next semester, and registering for my last few classes. I'm so thankful that all this stuff can be done online now - what a blessing when I'm not feeling well!!
I bought a new Anúna CD this week that I'd been wanting for a long time, and the liner notes for one of the songs describe "the joy of melancholy." I pondered that phrase and decided that, yes, I actually do derive some pleasure from being melancholy. So this week, I am liking some songs that may seem sad when you first listen to them, but they possess a special beauty that happy music just doesn't have.
***

"The Last Unicorn" theme - I've never seen this movie, but there is something triumphant in the sadness of this opening song.
"Carrickfergus" - Watch Liam's face, his eyes. He lives and breathes this sad old song.
"The Highwayman" set to music by Loreena McKennitt - Haunting, intense, and powerful.
"Somebody Love Me" by Michael W. Smith - the lyrics on this one are painful but true
"Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye" - This is the original Irish version of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home," and it has none of the patriotic enthusiasm that our American version does. This is a bitterly sad tale of the horror and cost of war. I'm sorry that the quality of this video is so bad, but no one sings it like Tommy Makem - when he gets that catch in his throat toward the end, it is exquisitely painful.
"War At Home" by Josh Groban
And here's a song that is in a minor key, but is not sad at all:
"Wings As Eagles" by Jeff Conte - Stunning!
***
Remember that the rain can be as beautiful as the sun, in its own way!
Love,
Vicki
I'm going to have to listen to these songs soon.
ReplyDeleteI've awarded you over at my blog: http://thesplendorfalls.blogspot.com/2012/12/awards_6.html
Sorry you've been sick, and i'm so glad your feeling betterr now! :)
ReplyDeleteI tagged you at my blog! :D
ps.. I love your header! :
Delete